Propane and Butane both are known as LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas). They are produced from the process of refining crude oil. We generally use Propane gas for cooking as well as camping, but there are some situations where using Butane gas is more profitable. We will discuss about the advantages and disadvantages of using both gases in different use cases.
Similarities and Differences Between Propane and Butane Gas
- Both Propane and Butane gas are the members of a family of light hydrocarbons.
- By combusted, both produce carbon dioxide, water, carbon monoxide and soot.
- Both can be used for indoor cooking and camping, but there are some advantages and disadvantages. We will discuss about it below.
- The main difference between two gases is their boiling point. Propane boils at -42° Celsius (-43.6° Fahrenheit) while Butane boils at -1° Celsius (30.2° Fahrenheit). So choosing a propane gas stove is better if you need to cook in winter or cold weather. Besides, butane is preferable for summer or hot weather.
- The second main difference is its connector. Generally we use a clip-style connector known as regulator to connect with a propane gas container. While butane containers have screw-style connector. It also has a small type regulator to adjust flame.
- The third main difference is energy efficiency. According to David Thornber, Butane has 12% more energy than propane. It has been said that 6kg propane is equals to 7kg butane. So using butane gas is more profitable if you are using it in hot weather (temperature should be +5°C).
- Last but not least butane is cheaper than propane. It’s true that using butane gas for camping or in-house is more challenging. Also it is not easily available in the market.
Propane vs Butane: Which one should you use?
If you don’t want to get into any problems, go for propane. It will cost you little bit more comparing to butane. But you don’t have to think about the temperature of your surroundings wherever you are going.
Propane cylinder or bottle comes with different sizes and shapes.
Images of propane cylinders sizes
When it comes to use butane gas, you first need to think about the temperature where you will use it. If it is greater than 5°C, then Butane is perfect for you. It will save you money as well as time. Butane gas bottle also comes with different sizes and shapes.